Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

THE DAY THE FALLS STOOD STILL by Cathy Buchanan

Living in 1915 near Niagara Falls, seventeen-year-old Bess Heath, who is struggling to cope with the death of her sister and the disgrace of her family, and Tom Cole, whose sixth sense of the river and the falls aids him in daring rescues, are the key players in a transformative love story.

Reserve Book
Reserve Audiobook


9 comments:

Ruby Cheesman said...

I loved the Niagra Falls setting. Having visited the Falls a few years ago, this book brought alive the history behind them, especially the Canadian side.

Cathy Marie Buchanan said...

So thrilled for my debut to be part of Salt Lake County Library Reader's Choice and in such lovely company.

Read away.

Britt said...

my review of The Day the Falls Stood Still

Anonymous said...

I grew up near Niagara Falls and loved reading about places I’ve seen.

marissa said...

I loved learning more about the falls--great story too!

~Jeannine

Bibliobabe said...

My review of this wonderful book here:

The Day the Falls Stood Still

Cathy Marie Buchanan said...

Check out this review from Salt Lake County blogger Bibliobabe: http://www.bibliobabe.com/?p=2877

alisonwonderland said...

I've posted a review of The Day the Falls Stood Still on my blog.

Debbi Olson said...

When I first started to read the book I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it continued to draw me in. I was fascinated by the history of Niagara Falls and the blend of facts told within a fictitious storyline. I was disappointed with the ending - which I was always preparing for, and hoping wouldn't turn out the way the narrator was always leading up to it. That said, however, The Day the Falls Stood Still will remain one of my all-time favorite books.