Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

THE GLASSBLOWER OF MURANO by Marina Fiorato

Leonara Mannin goes to Venice to enhance her skill as a glassblower, and learn more about a mysterious ancestor. Switching between modern-day and seventeenth-century Venice, the reader becomes involved in an intriguing mix of history, mystery, art, romance and politics.

Reserve Book

Author Website
Author Biography
Reviews
Author Interview
Author Facebook Page



Read-a-Likes

4 comments:

Sam said...

UUGGH!! This book was HORRIBLE. The language and storyline were dirty and quite boring. I really wanted to like this book, but I really just couldn't :(

andrea said...

I liked this book. It kept me wondering how it would all end. I also found all the history around glassblowing interesting.

Debbi Olson said...

I found this book to one of the best books I have ever read. Yes, it was often difficult to follow dialog the way the author chose to write it. But I loved the weaving back and forth between the past and the present. There were a few flaws toward the end that were not consistent with the beginning of the book, and, I didn't quite care for the ending in the present when most of the book had its mirrors between the two. It was a book that once I started I didn't want to put down and found the history interesting and compelling.

Laurel said...

I learned a TON about glassblowing, and liked that the character was a woman (in a man's glassblowing world). I thought it was slower-moving than I had wished, but it had me hooked until the end.