Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS by R. J. Ellory

Joseph Vaughan and his friends try to stop a serial killer in his home town, but, after being unsuccessful, he flees to New York, where, ten years later, he finds himself investigating another murder with links to the original killer.

Reserve Book
Reserve Audiobook

Author Website
Book Website
Author Blog
Author Twitter Page
Author Facebook Page

Read-a-Likes

7 comments:

Danette said...

This one really made me think and had some great plot twists, but what I really liked was the beautiful prose--you don't see that in a mystery very often.

Kate said...

This book is almost mezmerizing in the prose and the story. It was hard to put down. During the day I found myself wondering what was going to happen when I resumed reading later on. I looked up R.J. Ellory's web page, and was surprised to find out he is from England. There were a couple of phrases that I wasn't sure one would have heard in the 40s or 40s but that took nothing from the novel. Great ending!

marissa said...

I just wasn't able to get into it.

~Norma

Anonymous said...

It was beautifully written, just too depressing. I suffered a great loss, my son passed & so maybe I am not a good judge on this book.

Anonymous said...

VEry different.

Heidi Brown said...

"A Quiet Belief in Angels"... the title of this book suggested to me that despite the bad things that were happening in this small town, that it would be linked back to how faith and hope held them together.
NOT the case.
I also didn't agree with the frequent usage of the F word. Overall, not worth the time invested in reading it.

Britt said...

This is possibly my favorite of this round.

my full review