Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Friday, July 1, 2011

THE BELLS by Richard Harvell

“I grew up as the son of a man who could not possibly have been my father.” In 18th century Switzerland, illegitimate youth Moses Froben, born to a deaf mother and Catholic priest father, is cast out by his self-serving father and seeks refuge in the historic Abbey of St. Gall. Through his singing, he discovers his purpose in life and the love of his life.

Place Hold on Book
Place Hold on eBook
Place Hold on Audiobook
Place Hold on eAudiobook

Read-a-Likes

Author’s page
Trailer
NPR Interview
Music Playlist from the novel
Author email

5 comments:

*kare* said...

Not my favorite. I found it happy in some parts, but just mostly sad. I felt like it was a one time read. It was well written though, just sad.

Anonymous said...

couldn't even get into the book, stopped at page 120

Anonymous said...

The Bells is an easy read. I enjoyed the characters the writing
and was happy to read it to the finish. It was recommended to me and I would do the same.

Katja said...

I loved this book.
- This is about the life of a castrato and the people that care for him. - Some stories will stay with you because they are so beautifully told and this was one of them.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Loved it and would recommend it, though some parts are a bit difficult to read due to the subject matter.