Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Friday, July 1, 2011

CROOKED LETTER, CROOKED LETTER by Tom Franklin

African-American Constable Silas Jones must confront his white former friend Larry Ott, who has lived under suspicion for twenty years since a girl disappeared while on a date with him. When another girl disappears, Larry is blamed once again.

Place Hold on Book
Place Hold on eBook
Place Hold on Audiobook
Place Hold on eAudiobook

Read-a-Likes

Author Biography
Author Interview
Author Interview
YouTube Interview
Discussion Questions

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting story gives a real nice feel of growing up in a poor area. Just too long.

Valerie said...

I absolutely loved this book. Reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird, to my ear authentically southern. I highly recommend it.

Monika said...

I enjoyed this book a lot. Major sympathy for character Larry Ott. Great descriptions of Mississippi landscape.

Anonymous said...

Really well written, a bit graphic at times, but overall a great read.

Anonymous said...

This one was originally pretty low on my list to read, but I happened to glance at the first chapter and didn't want to put it down. Really enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

The writing quality here is superb. It's rather sad overall. I got all the C name characters mixed up, but that could just be me. Very detailed in events, places, and people. Pretty good overall.

There is a lot of swearing, some violence, and some suggestive descriptions.

Britt said...

Very interesting. Not quite what I expected, though. Still enjoyed it.

Canada said...

I checked out Powell's Books online, the employees pick their top 5 books each year. This book was on several employees list so I figured it was a good bet. I was not disappointed. This is the story of how not saying something can change your life and the lives of those who are close to you. Well written, touching and a bit sad but worth the investment.