Twice a year the library staff display their current book favorites for you to read and enjoy. Rate the books you read from the display by submitting a ballot at your branch in order to enter a drawing for a $25 gift card. Check out what the library staff considers current "good reads" and give us your feedback on our choices by voting at a branch and posting a comment.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

THE DRY GRASS OF AUGUST by Anna Jean Mayhew

In 1954, 13-year-old Jubie travels in the South with her family and their black maid Mary Luther. Mary has always been there for her, making up for her father's rages and her mother's neglect. Jubie is unprepared for the racial tension and tragedy they encounter.

Place Hold on Book
Place Hold on eBook
Place Hold on Audiobook

Read-a-Likes

Author’s website
Goodreads page
Book Review

7 comments:

Anna Jean Mayhew said...

Thank you, Salt Lake County Library, for nominating my novel for your Reader's Choice Award. If ever I find myself in your neighborhood...2,115 miles from here...I'll certainly drop in and say hello.

I look forward to the results in May...I've got my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing book. I loved it. I couldn't put it down. I wish it continued on so I could see what the character's lives turned out like in the long run, but, then again, maybe it ended at the perfect spot.

Ruby Cheesman said...

If you loved The Help, I think you will really like The Dry Grass of Autumn. Coming from the South, the characters definitely resonated with me. Though I'm now a Utah transplant, I grew up in Georgia; Author Mayhew made me feel right at home. I hope she writes more like this one!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book. I was hoping the ending would explain a little more as well as what happened with Young Mary and Link. It was enjoyable but I felt some characters needed more to them. If you like The Help, The Secret Life of Bees and the like, then this is the book for you. I loved all of those and, in the end, found The Dry Grass of August bringing me back to my Southern home.

A.J. said...

Thank you for your comments. Sometimes I, too, want to know what happened to the characters, but I had to let them go. It was tempting to start another book about them, but I'm on to something else, another story.

A.J. said...

Wanted to add to my previous comment that I am working on another book. Though TOMORROW'S BREAD is not a sequel, it is also set in Charlotte, NC. The year is 1967, 13 years later than THE DRY GRASS OF AUGUST, and the plot centers around urban renewal and school integration. Again, my characters tell the story against a backdrop of changes taking place on a local and national level.

A.J. said...

The Dry Grass of August is a finalist for the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance 2012 Book Award.